Built around 1793 on Bennett’s Hill, the fort overlooks the Queen’s Staircase, and is easily accessed to walking traffic from the Downtown area.
Shaped like a paddle-steamer, Lord Dunmore named Fort Fincastle after his second title, Viscount Fincastle. The fort overlooked Nassau and Paradise Island and the eastern approaches to New Providence. It mounted two 24 pounders, two 32 pounders, two 12 pounder cannons and one howitzer.
Fort Fincastle served as a lighthouse until September 1817 when it was replaced by the lighthouse on Paradise Island. It was subsequently used as a signal station.
Hours: Open Sunday to Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and holidays.
Admission: $1.00 plus VAT
Location: On Bennett’s Hill, Prison Lane off East Street, just opposite the Police Headquarters, a five-minute walk from downtown.
Phone: (242) 356-9085
Fax: (242) 325-2298